You can make a difference, you can become a volunteer.
“The look on their faces. You see the appreciation and the hope in their eyes when you lend them a hand and help them up. It makes my heart melt and reminds me that I can give back in so many simple ways.” This was the response of one of our volunteers when asked, “Why do you volunteer?”
So, what’s motivating you to give back and help us in Doing the Most Good? No matter what is it, chances are we have an opportunity for you. From helping a child receive a warm winter coat, to assisting a family as they shop for toys for their kids at Christmas to ringing a bell, to helping serve a meal – the possibilities are numerous. Expand the categories below to learn more about volunteering with The Salvation Army and find out which of our facilities is the best fit for you.
- How does the volunteer process work? Browse the opportunities listed below (i.e. choose Special Events in Indianapolis or search for your local Salvation Army to get involved with). Click on the respective activity or facility location to see details about the opportunities available. From there, you will be directed to “Sign Up” and follow the prompts to create your very own volunteer profile. Rest assured that The Salvation Army does not share personal information and you will only be shared volunteer information, unless you note otherwise.
- What will I be doing as a volunteer? Volunteer opportunities vary by location. Some examples include:
- Sorting food pantry collections; assisting with distribution of food items
- Assisting with day camp activities for youth
- Help a child find the perfect winter coat
- Shop with a family as they select Christmas gifts
- Assist with cleaning and general maintenance projects
- Many other opportunities that can be developed based on your passions and the needs of The Salvation Army
- Not sure where the best fit for you might be? Join us for a Tour of Hope. We’ll take you on a tour of our facilities to get an inside look at how lives are being improved from Salvation Army programs and services.
- Do we accept young volunteers? Yes! We strongly encourage youth to be involved in their community. That being said, we ask that all young volunteers remain engaged while at our events. There is no set minimum age as long as the youth are actively working towards the purpose of the event. As a general guideline, volunteers under 15 years of age need to have an adult volunteer with them.
- Are there other ways that I can give back? An in-kind gift donation can be made to support our programs and services. (i.e. Arts and crafts supplies for our summer camp participants.)
- Are there possible extra clearances that will be required of me as a volunteer? The Salvation Army takes safety very seriously, especially for children, senior citizens and people with physical challenges. We conduct an extensive program called Safe From Harm to ensure safety. Volunteers who will be in a one-on-one situation, or will be working with children, seniors, or the physically challenged are required to have a background check and this special Safe From Harm training. For volunteers, this training can be completed online, at your convenience. To access the training modules, click here: Safe From Harm online training. Be sure to save your certificate at the end because you will be able to upload it into your volunteer account.
- Does The Salvation Army accommodate court-ordered community service needs? Yes, for most circumstances. However, due to the nature of our programs and services, options can sometimes be limited. Depending on the nature of the available opportunities, a background check and references may be required. Please contact our Indianapolis Adult Rehabilitation Center (A.R.C.) at 317-638-6585. The A.R.C. operates the Salvation Army Thrift Stores. You must visit the headquarters at 711 East Washington Street but you will be able to complete your hours at a local thrift store.
Special Event Volunteer Opportunities in Indianapolis
Indiana Corps (Get involved at your local Salvation Army facility)
- Indy A.R.C.
- The Salvation Army – Block of Hope (located Downtown, Indianapolis)
- The Salvation Army – Eagle Creek Corps Community Center
- The Salvation Army – Fountain Square Corps Community Center
- The Salvation Army – Harbor Light Center
- The Salvation Army – Johnson County Red Shield Center
Other facilities across the state of Indiana
The Salvation Army Indiana Division 3100 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis, IN 46208 Toll free: (800) 589-1037 Fax: (317) 937-7010
Brittany Faulkner, Volunteer and Red Kettle Campaign Manager Brittany_Faulkner@usc.salvationarmy.org
Stefanie Simpson, Promotions Manager Stefanie_Simpson@usc.salvationarmy.org
- Opportunities are frequently updated, so be sure to check back often!
- For general volunteer and corporate information about how to become engaged and find the events that are right for you, please contact Brittany Faulkner at Brittany_Faulkner@usc.salvationarmy.org
- For event related needs and updates, please contact Stefanie Simpson at Stefanie_Simpson@usc.salvationarmy.org