In January 1920, The Salvation Army established the local “Advisory Board System,” which was designed to enlist local professionals, business and civic leaders to provide support to the local unit of The Salvation Army.

The Advisory Board is charged with the responsibility of advising and assisting The Salvation Army in all its activities in a particular community.  The Advisory Board is considered the parent body, coordinating the activities of other advisory organizations.